Monday, February 7, 2011

City Music Concert: Huun Huur Tu

It's so nice to do some work again, especially when it's volunteer work.  I got the pleasure of photographing a concert, Huun Huur Tu, for CityMusic, an organization which is best described by this blurb from their website, citymusiccolumbus.com : "For over a quarter century, CityMusic has worked to expand the musical horizons of central Ohio residents by presenting the best in chamber and world music and by providing musical outreach to inner-city youth."  I have been searching for something locally that helps people that I might help with my photography.  This show was at the beautifully renovated Lincoln Theater.  


Huun Huur Tu is a group that has been around since 1991 and they hail from Tuva, a Russian republic that sits on the Mongolian border.  They practice Tuvan throat singing, nothing I have ever heard before.  It is impossible to describe, you just need to hear it for yourselves.  It was mesmerizing and as I told my husband, some of the songs sounded like they would be in a Chinese Western, if such a thing exists.  I 
highly recommend checking them out.  Their website is hhtmusic.com . 



CityMusic puts on several concerts a year so please help out by taking a look at their site and attending a show or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment